Senior French-speaking Consultant
Profile: whom are we looking for
What you will do
Based in Barcelona, you will work full-time as a consultant.
You will regularly travel to meet our clients (twice or thrice a month, mostly in France).
You will take part in our consultancy missions. As a member of project teams, you will gather evidence to build a case, do a literature review, make proposals, travel with other consultants to meet clients or moderate workshops. You feel comfortable interacting with senior management of institutions.
In a few months, you are expected to be autonomous and take on a project-management role.
Whom we are looking for
You are a French-speaker, but also have a perfect working knowledge of English. Working knowledge of European languages is a plus.
With a PhD and post-doctoral or professional experience, you are looking for the sweet spot in between worlds. The freedom of academia, the impact of public policy, the challenges of the corporate world… or, if that sweet spot sounds over idealistic, at least, somewhere where people continuously question who they are and what they are doing.
You are expected to start in April/May. You live in/around Barcelona and/or are willing to move to Barcelona at the signature of the contract.
You have excellent writing and reasoning skills, strong capacities of argumentation and critical analysis, and show attention to details.
With high standards when it comes to writing a report, defending an argument, or looking for data, you like interactions and dialectics.
You will be part of a multidisciplinary, international team of public policy experts, data scientists and a world-wide network of international experts.
You will receive training in a wide set of skills in consulting, qualitative and quantitative analysis and sectoral expertise. You will learn about our methodology based on co-design of data-driven solutions, as well as in systemic processes, interpretation and strategic provocation.
We will provide the possibility for you to explore different themes and aspects of the work of a consultant and will appreciate initiative and independence. However, your main focus on action will be higher education, science and innovation policies and strategies.
SIRIS Academic’s recruitment processes integrate a commitment towards gender equality, diversity and inclusion.
Full time position (40 hours/week).
Our hiring model includes a trial period of 6 months, the extension of which is confirmed in a feedback and assessment session.
After 2 years at most, the contract becomes permanent.
Once a year, both salary and career development are discussed during a joint assessment session. More regular feedback sessions take place whenever the employee feels that it is useful.
- Salary depends on experience and is in line with industry standards (more info).
- All work and travel related expenses are covered by SIRIS Academic.
- Workstation in a shared office + Laptop.
- Complimentary Health insurance.
- Relocation/moving budget as a contribution to cover part of the related expenses.
- A beautiful and lively office in downtown Barcelona, with 360º views and nice perks.
- Fully-equipped installations including cooking facilities, shower, sofas, recreation room.
- Free fruits, coffee, biscuits, chocolate and many more treats.
- Informal dress code.
- Working hours flexibility and support to work-life balance.
- Specific bonus tickets to cover either public transportation, childcare, catering or gym membership.
- Extra-holiday on employee’s birthday.
- Ethical and sustainable working environment.
- Opportunity to work in a dynamic, dedicated, multicultural, multi-lingual and passionate team of professionals.
- According to internal policy, SIRIS Academic may distribute a fraction of the yearly profits among all employees in the form of a salary bonus.
- February 7th. Deadline for applications. Applications should include:
- An updated CV
- A cover letter
- February-March (depending on availability). Sequential selection phases:
- First interview of preselected candidates (in person or via conf call)
- Written test (a short French-written test with project-inspired exercises to demonstrate skills in sectorial consulting)
- Final round of interviews for shortlisted candidates (in person; travel and accommodation covered by SIRIS Academic)
- Final selection – planned by March 27th.
How to apply
CV and cover letter must be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Job offer Senior French-speaking Consultant – January 2020” in the email subject line.
Context: who we are and what we do
What? We are a consulting firm. We work with decision makers in the public or non-profit sector, and provide them with insights, processes and tools, which challenge them to think and enable them to accomplish their mission better.
Our services can take many forms: a strategic or analytical report, a business intelligence tool, a participatory workshop, a coaching session, the moderation of a discussion, a political recommendation, etc.
But if the form varies, the core is always the same: what matters to us is to help leaders make better, more informed and more accountable decisions for the benefit of the citizens.
How? We approach problems as researchers: questioning systematically, proposing models, looking for evidence. We never defend a position which we have not tested as deeply as we can. We provide decision-makers with the tools and arguments to take decisions but we also understand that their job involves political compromises and that the ideal decision is not always either possible or optimal.
Who? Born from research, our team of 30 people is a colourful mix, with specialities ranging from archaeology to physics, and philosophy to biology. Together, we represent 8 nationalities and speak many languages. Our team is held together by a strong ethical vision, based on the respect of the contribution of everyone, the belief in collective wisdom, and a deep curiosity.
Where? Based in Barcelona, we work mostly in Europe, with a strong base in Spain, France and Italy, activities in the UK and Germany and at the EU level (JRC).
With whom? Our clients are leaders and managers in universities, regional governments, ministries,, research organizations, not-for-profit foundations, etc.
In which sectors? Currently, most of our activity focuses on the sectors of higher education and research, science & innovation policy and social impact.
And…. why? Deep down, we want to make the world a better place by improving public policies. We are strong believers in the power of science-based evidence, participative approaches and accountability processes to improve the way public policies are designed and decisions taken, day after day.
In terms of social responsibility, 0.7% of SIRIS Academic’s yearly income donated to NGOs selected through a participatory process.